Shrewsbury

The Diocese of Shrewsbury was founded in 1850, and encompasses the counties of Cheshire and Shropshire (and parts of Derbyshire, Merseyside and Greater Manchester). The cathedral is in Shrewsbury, and is dedicated to Our Lady Help of Christians and St Peter Alcantara. 114 churches were visited for Taking Stock (2012).

Nantwich – St Anne

A modest interwar building, significantly altered and enlarged in 2001-02. While the building has character and the... Read More

Neston – St Winefride

A small country church of 1843, designed by A. W. N. Pugin, forming part of an attractive group with attached... Read More

New Ferry – St John the Evangelist

A well-proportioned church by W. C. Mangan dating from the 1930s, with a tall west front to Bebington Road. Within the... Read More

Newport – St Peter and St Paul

The Newport mission dates back to pre-Reformation times, centred on the Longford Hall, home of the Talbot family. The... Read More

Northwich – St Wilfrid

An early design by Edmund Kirby, relatively low-key on the outside but the interior an extraordinary tour-de-force of... Read More

Oswestry – Our Lady Help of Christians and St Oswald

A handsome late-nineteenth century church stone-built church with a fine attached interwar Lady Chapel, all paid for by... Read More

Partington – Our Lady of Lourdes

A building of the 1960s by the prolific firm of Reynolds & Scott, somewhat hard-edged in its detailing but grand... Read More

Pensby – Holy Family

A modest, recently-constructed church providing a flexible space. A new parish was established in Pensby in 1968. At... Read More

Poynton – St Paul

A church converted from a former cinema, occupying a corner site.There are no significant features or fixtures relating... Read More

Romiley – Our Lady and St Christopher

An attractive interwar church in Italian Romanesque style, with some original fittings of good quality. The later... Read More

Runcorn – St Edward

A striking church by Edmund Kirby & Sons, the design very characteristic of its time, and retaining many original... Read More

Runcorn (Castlefields) – St Augustine

A simple portal-framed church, built in 1977 as part of the development of Runcorn New Town. The parish was erected in... Read More

1 4 5 6 7 8 10